From today, the social homes of Can Fabra bear a plaque that distinguishes this project with the 2021 FAD Architecture Prize. The plaque was unveiled this Thursday in a ceremony held in the same Can Fabra buildings with the participation of Mercè Berengué, one of the leaders of the project designed by Roldán Berengué Arquitectes, along with representatives of the board and jury of the FAD and a number of architects.
The ceremony highlighted the importance of this recognition, which manifests the added value of rehabilitating a building, committing to sustainability and maintaining the historical heritage of the space, located in the old industrial premises of the Fabra i Coats complex. “Combining rehabilitation and recovery of the heritage is a model of maximum sustainability. We have only had to build up 46% of the surface area: the rest, 54%, is rehabilitated space. Rehabilitation is the most sustainable operation and generates a greater sensation of belonging than new construction. The people who live here are aware that it is a historic building, and this adds one more value to it”, Mercè Berengué declared.
During the ceremony, a visit was made to the installations and an explanation was given of the design process, which includes 46 homes with an average floor area of 64 m2, assigned to young people aged 18 to 35. A façade 90% open to the exterior, the use of wood and the commitment to a sustainable environment, using the aerothermal system, solar protection and cross-ventilation, are some of the characteristics of these homes promoted by the Barcelona Municipal Housing and Rehabilitation Institute. Another notable feature is the versatility of the spaces, since although the homes are of 64 m2, their residents can enjoy a total of 200 m2 of communal spaces. The project is completed with a space for the Colla Castellera Jove [Young Human Towers Group] of Barcelona.
A distinguished project
The FAD Architecture and Interior Design Prizes, usually known as the FAD Prizes, are among Europe’s oldest and most prestigious awards in the field of architecture, interior design and cities and landscape.
The Can Fabra project, which has won this prize in its latest edition, was recognised for its capacity of converting an old factory into social housing, rehabilitating and preserving the industrial heritage, and not only creating individual homes but also vertebrating a collective space that creates community. Another highlighted feature of the project is its commitment to sustainability and integration with its surroundings, using wood in its structures, a material with a very low environmental impact that also forms a thermal envelope for the building. “Technical coherence and climatic attention complete a serious project that weaves a coherent reflection on the past, the present and the future of the city”, the jury declared.
“These prizes mark out the lines to be followed and are a model of communication for seeing how the approved projects have evolved, measuring them and giving them value. Barcelona is a model of architecture and we have to maintain these prizes”, Berengué added.
Apart from the 2021 FAD Architecture Prize, this year Can Fabra has also won the 2020 AVS Prize for the Best New Construction and the first prize for multi-family housing at the AIT Awards. In addition, last year it received the 2020 Advanced Architecture Awards and the 2020 Mapei Prize.