- Barcelona City Council Housing Conference, October 24-25th. ->
- Sorcha Edwards (Housing Europe), Ismael Yrigoy (University of the Balearic Islands) and Javier Burón (Manager of Housing at the City Council). ->
- The Mayor of Barcelona, Ada Colau, took part in one of the sessions of the Housing Conference. ->->
- Irene Escorihuela (Observatori DESC), Josep Maria Montaner (Councillor for Housing) and Lluís Comerón (Dean of the Architects Association). ->->->
- Sorcha Edwards (Housing Europe), Ismael Yrigoy (University of the Balearic Islands) and Javier Burón (Manager of Housing at the City Council). ->->->
- Irene Escorihuela, Max Gigling, Ada Colau and Magnus Hammar at the last seminar of the day.
The current situation and the future of the rental market
On the first day of the Housing Conference, experts, professionals and participants took part in seminars to discuss the current housing situation and the rental market.
Among other issues, these seminars analysed the present legal framework on a Spanish and European level, the effects of tourism as a determining factor in rent prices and the need to set up tenants’ associations for the collective defence of tenants’ rights.
Seminar I: Housing, between Speculation and Dignified Living
Raquel Rodríguez, Polytechnic University of Madrid
Desirée Fields, University of Sheffield
Seminar II: Rental Housing in Other European Cities and the Impact of Mass Tourism
Sorcha Edwards, Housing Europe
Ismael Yrigoy, University of the Balearic Islands
Seminar III: European Experiences of Regulating the Rental Market
Max Gigling, researcher in social housing policies
Magnus Hammar, Secretary General of the International Union of Tenants
Investing in Housing: an Economic and Social Option
Secretary General of Housing Europe
The Housing Market in Spain: Where are we coming from? Where are we going?
Architect and professor at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Tenants’ Unions: a Response for Defending Tenants’ Rights
Secretary General of the International Union of Tenants